World IA Day 2020 will be celebrated on February 22, 2020.
WIAD 2020's theme:
THE IA ELEMENT
Elemental connections. Elemental understanding.
"IA ties and binds different ideas involved, the end-users, the stakeholders, the designers, and the developers. IA is often the bridge element between them all and tying together through understanding. IA is essential, IA is key, IA is Elemental."
Seattle's celebration will be held at General Assembly. We will have a mini hackathon for students, practitioners and IA enthusiasts from the area; amazing talks from local professionals; a panel discussion around this year's theme "The IA Element"; and a happy hour where people can network with colleagues and celebrate the Information Architecture field.
We are still planning our celebration in Seattle! If you would like to participate as a volunteer or sponsor, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Venue, parking and transit
General Assembly Seattle
1218 3rd Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101
General Assembly is located on the 3rd floor in Seattle Tower.
For transit: We know downtown parking can be tough; we recommend taking public transit if you can. General Assembly is located in the Seattle Tower on 3rd & University, right next to the Seattle transit tunnel.
If you are driving, we recommend using seattle.bestparking.com. This site will show you all the parking lots & garages in the area and the rates for the duration of your stay at GA. There is a parking garage in the same building. The weekend rate for parking is $5, 10 hours max.
The main event will be preceeded by a Mini Hackathon. All attendees are welcome to, but are not required to attend the mini Hackathon session in the morning. (We would also love to have practitioners volunteer as mentors for the Mini Hackathon project.)
- 8:30am - 9:00am: Mini Hackathon Registration
- 9:00am - 11:30am: Mini Hackathon (Register here)
- 11:30am - 12:00pm: Break and breakfast for Mini Hackathon attendees
WIAD Main Event Program Agenda:
- 12:00pm - 12:30pm: Registration
- 12:30pm Opening
- 12:45pm Talk: Nicole Buckenwolf - Senior Taxonomist, Etsy
- 1:45pm Panel: Sarah Barrett (Senior Information Architect, Microsoft); Ayoush Mukherjee (Data & Applied Scientist, Microsoft); Elan May Rinck (Ontology & Taxonomy Lead, Nike); Kevin McCraney (Data Engineer, Four Peaks Environmental Science & Data Solutions)
- 3:15pm Talk: Mary Robertson, Assistant Professor of Sociology, California State University San Marcos
- 4:00pm - 6:00pm: Hackathon Winner Announcement and Happy Hour